Government of the District of Columbia
ADVISORY NEIGHBORHOOD COMMISSION 5A
MINUTES OF MEETING
September 24, 2014
The monthly meeting of ANC 5A was held on September 24, 2014. The meeting was held at UDC-CC Backus Campus, Room 125. The meeting was called to order at 6:49 PM. Quorum was established. Commissioners voted unanimously to adopt the agenda. The following Commissioners were present for the meeting:
Commissioner Frank Wilds 5A01 Commissioner Jasmine White 5A06
Commissioner Grace Lewis 5A02 Commissioner Sandi Washington 5A07
Commissioner Ronnie Edwards 5A05 Commissioner Angel Alston 5A08
Minutes from June 25th meeting was accepted unanimously.
Motion to accept Treasurer’s report was made by Commissioner White, seconded by Commissioner Alston. Motion carried.
Attorney General candidate, Lorie Masters, addressed community.
PUBLIC SAFETY UPDATE
PSA 405 presentation and information from Officer Lucas.
Introduction and presentation of PSA 405 crime statistics from Lieutenant Michelle Ridlehoover
· Spike in burglaries in PSA 405
· New efforts for patrolling crime areas
· Update on suspects from recent small thefts around Ft. Totten
· Lt. Ridlehoover gave her contact information to residents for future concerns
· Due to recent construction work, Eastern Ave. NE residents expressed concerns about a single-family home in Commissioner Wilds SMD. Residents have contacted DCRA to report possible violations and request an investigation. Commissioner Wilds has contacted DCRA to follow up about any violations.
· Amha Selassi from American Health Care Services presented a letter of support from Ward 5 Councilmember Kenyan McDuffie and requested a letter from ANC 5A, also in support of establishing a permanent business location for his home healthcare services program. Commissioner Alston reminded Mr. Selassi of the proper protocol for requesting a support letter, contacting Commissioners and allowing them to facilitate a single member district meeting for community feedback. No action was taken.
Peirpoint Mobley addressed the community on behalf of Attorney General candidate, Karl Racine.
COUNCILMEMBER MCDUFFIE UPDATE
Ronan Gustone, Deputy Chief of Staff, briefed community members on McDuffie’s Solid Waste Facility Bill and the Land for Affordable Housing Act.
ANC 5A Chair, Commissioner Edwards, lead a brief discussion on Initiative Measure #71, which will be on the November ballot.
Dr. Elmer Huerta from the Washington Hospital Center returned to ask community members to participate in a survey to determine what Ward 5 residents know about Breast Cancer and related services.
Commissioner Alston briefed the community on progress of the Cafritz project.
Meeting was adjourned at 8:43 PM.